1. the multi-media
2. the blackboard.
1. Enhance students’ reading abilities through mind map.
2. Enable Ss to adopt the strategy reading a speech and catch the main idea of the text.
1. Help Ss know some background knowledge about the history and the development of the Olympic Games.
2. Enhance students’ reading abilities through mind map.
Improve the students’ reading comprehension.
2. Practice to get the students to master what they’ve learnt.
3. Discussion to make every student work in class.
Step 1 自主学习
学习任务：预习单词Pages 69 committee----roof并浏览文章
【学生活动】1.朗读生词Pages 69 committee----roof三遍。
3. Word translation
4. Phrases translation
in honour of
lead the way
be delighted to do sth
history and significance of the Olympic Games
share sth with sb
every four years
be allowed to do sth
take part in
side by side
of all time
come to public attention
pass something on (to somebody)
the People’s Republic of China
go on to do sth
at the opening ceremony
make contributions to
look forward to doing sth
join sb in doing sth
Step 2 情景导入
学习任务：How much do you know about the Olympic Games? Now let’s have a quiz to see who is Jack-of-all-trades .
1. In what year were the Olympic Games first held?
2. When and where were the first modern Olympic Games held?
3. What is the slogan of 2008 Beijing Olympics?
4. How many gold medals did China win in the 2012 Olympic Games?
5. Who was China’s first medalist?
6. Who is the current president of the International Olympic Committee ?
7. What do the five Olympic rings stand for?
8. How many times have the Olympic Games been stopped because of war? What are they?
9. Which continent does each color stand for?
Blue： black： red： green： yellow：
10. Match the mascots and the host city of the following Olympic Games.
Athens,2004 Beijing,2008 Barcelona,1992 Los Angeles,1984 London,2012
11. Enjoy the pictures of Beijing Olympics opening ceremony .
12. Enjoy Olympic theme song YOU AND ME
Step 3 任务导学
(1) fill in the blanks.
Definition of a speech
Ways to make a good speech
a ________ talk that a person gives to an audience
1. tell an ___________ story
2. use ___________
3. present ___________
4. ask ____________
(2) The writer actually wants to _______by asking the question“Do you know when the ancient games began?”
A. get the right answer B. get the audience interested in his topic
C. give you a chance to speak D. show what he knows about the games
（1）1. What is the speech about?
2. What was Pierre de Coubertin’s hope when he brought the Olympic Games back to life?
3. What does the speaker wish for at the end of the speech?
(2) Which of the following shows the right structure of the passage?
(3) Read the passage quickly again and try to divide the passage into 4 parts and get the main idea of each part.
Part 1: Para 1 theof the speech
Part 2: Para2-4 theof the Olympics
Part 3: Para5-8 some famousand their great .
Part 4: Para9-10 theof the speech
Students show their mind map to generalize the structure of the whole passage and grasp the detailed information.
1960 Rome Olympics
Gold medal, boxing
Mr. Jonson, an IOC member talked about the history and _________ of Olympics. The Ancient Olympics were____ at Olympia in Greece in 776 BC while modern Olympics were restarted to make people live_________ side by side. There were many ___________ athletes helping to _____ the dream such as Ali, Michael Jordan and Chinese ______ have also make great _________ to the Olympics for example Liu Xiang ______ people all over Asia in 2004 Athens Olympic Games .There are other Olympians attempting to push the ____ of the human achievement. So Mr Johnson wished the Olympic movement a successful future to match its ________ past
Step 5 拓展导练
【师生活动】1. 学生先做练习；2. 教师点评； 3.学生做笔记。
【配套练习】Finish part E on page 25并朗读2次。